Reclaimed oil barrels, recycled and repurposed vats as furniture.
Though these metal vats are not a material that is available everywhere, there are some great ways to recycle oil barrels.
Most people will be able to get one or two vats for free.
In some places these vats are the only metal that is widely available.
Developing countries are always in need for cheap materials that can be recycled.
These oil vats are a great material to make chairs and benches.
Not only because the recycled barrels are cheap, the end result can be astonishing beautiful and functional.
Some examples of recycled oil barrels in tables chairs and benches.
- Cut the oil barrel with a torch or angle grinder.
Wear goggles and protective gloves.
- Make a seat for the bench, use reclaimed wood such as scaffolding boards.
- Fixate the backrest to the sides of the bench.
- Attach two thick planks below the barrel as legs.
This places the metal above the ground and hence prevents the formation of rust.
- Remove the bench backrest, the seat and legs again to paint all parts seperately.
- After the paint has dried you cab fit all parts again.
- Use rubber strips to protect the sharp metal edges.
A good and free material are the old rubbers from car doors and car boots.
Otherwise it is not difficult neither to cover the edges with some foam and upholstery.
Chairs made from repurposed oil barrels.
Office furniture made from reclaimed barrels.
Drawer chest and office desk made from recycled oil vats.
You might also want to have a look at the furniture made from beer barrels.
Some very original ideas to repurpose beer vats into something completely new.